A briefing note issued last week by chief executive of GMMH, Neil Thwaite told staff: “The Panorama programme was broadcast on September 28, 2022.
“The board was appalled by the content of the broadcast, which was both deeply upsetting and intensely challenging.”
“The trust board continues to work closely with NHS England, the Ministry of Justice, NHS Greater Manchester (our local Integrated Care Board), GMP and Bury Safeguarding Unit.
“Our principal objective remains the wellbeing of our patients and the provision of the best possible care for the communities we serve.”
The note added that the trust has concluded detailed, senior-led reviews of all affected patients to ensure their safety and well-being and that it has closed a number of wards within the centre.
Following the broadcast of the BBC Panorama programme, the trust commissioned an External Clinical Review of the unit, led by chief medical officer for Lancashire and South Cumbria NHS Foundation Trust, Dr David Fearnley.
Dr Fearnley’s report makes 31 recommendations in a range of areas including safer staffing, safeguarding and leadership.
In regards to safer staffing the report says: “The trust should have clear expectations relating to safe staffing levels; all wards should have a registered nurse on each shift.
“This expectation should be reflected in the trust’s safe staffing procedure.”
On the use of seclusion, it adds: “The trust should review the seclusion facilities and consider a model that reduces isolation, enables greater staff support, and enhances private and confidential communication.
“The trust should urgently review the seclusion facilities and make necessary environmental repairs to the facilities.”
Full story here
Source: Bury Times, 8th November 2022